Monday, April 7, 2008

The “People’s Department”

After my blog posting last night about not coming out at work, I get to work this morning and receive the below, very pleasing, email from my new employer. I thought it was very nice and thought I might share…

From: The Office of the Secretary
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:55 PM
To: ALL-[Omitted for blog]
Subject: The Secretary's Civil Rights Policy Statement

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF [omitted for blog]
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20250

Civil Rights Policy Statement

As Secretary of [omitted for blog], I fully support the Department of [omitted for blog]’s civil rights, equal employment opportunity, and diversity policies. I am firmly committed to ensuring that we treat each other and all of [omitted for blog]'s customers with respect, dignity, and equality. This is my commitment, and I expect all [omitted for blog] employees to do their part in translating this commitment into meaningful action.

To help us achieve our mission and live up to the high standard of being known as the "People's Department," we must work together. I take responsibility for leading the way, and my policy is simple and explicit - zero tolerance of any unlawful discrimination, harassment, or reprisal. All [omitted for blog] employees, applicants, customers, and stakeholders must and will have equal access to the opportunities, programs, and services offered by this great Department.

I expect our executives, managers, and supervisors to lead by example and to effectively embrace, manage, and leverage diversity within the Agency. Recognizing that our employees are our greatest asset, we must strive to reflect the diversity of American society at all levels, and cultivate an inclusive workplace environment where the uniqueness, background, and experience of every employee is appreciated and valued.

[Name Omitted for blog]
Secretary

No comments: