Thursday, February 7, 2008

Macy's North has been Elminated

Wow...so today was a bigger day than I thought it was going to be. Last night about this time I was thinking I would go to work, prepare for my 9am meeting, go to the dentist at 11, meet Ben for lunch, give my two weeks notice, go to my MBA happy hour, then finish the day out with a game of broomball. Is this how the day went? Nope! No, instead I get to work early to prepare for my meeting, people start rolling in around 8am and I notice a lot of closed door conversations and also noticed two pretty important people in the hall whispering. Once I noticed this, I knew shit was going down sometime today.

So I told myself I should hold off on giving my notice because if this is what I think it is, I might be getting a severance too. Anyway, I go to my meeting and two of 8 people show up. I look at them, and I say, I think we should reschedule because I think there might be a meeting that we will be required to go to very soon. Sure as fucking shit!! I get back to my desk and there is the meeting notice. The auditorium...we only have meetings in the auditorium when the whole headquarters has to attend. Interesting!! I knew it!!

So the meeting is set for 11:45, but my dentist appointment is at 11am. I am like SHIT, I am not going to make it! I go to my apt and finish up at 11:40. Thankfully the dentist is just a block down the street, so I am running down Nicollet Mall to try to get back in five minutes. Remember, the meeting is in the auditorium, but the auditorium is on the 8th floor. Also keep in mind that this building is a huge department store in the heart of downtown Minneapolis with 2 restaurants on the 12th floor and a huge cafeteria in the lower level. Where do many of the dwtn working population go to eat on a given work day? And especially when I have to get to a huge meeting? Macy's, of course. And where are they all at? The elevator bay!!! Let’s just say I was a little late, but thankfully I didn't miss anything.

A chairman from corporate gets on stage and starts out by saying "I wish I were here to deliver some good news, but this is a sad day, and it is not a good day for Macy's North." OH.....fucking wonderful!! GASP!!! I have to play it off like I don't have a job lined up already, right? I knew this shit was coming though. I knew it! I have told people (not work people) this was coming and I said it was going to be soon. Sure enough!! Here we go!! Of course, it doesn't really bother me. However, how do I work this so I can get a severance too? Not a freaking clue folks!!! If the out date for everyone was sooner I might be able to push back the start date with the new job, but 2 more months (out date is currently set for May 2nd and the start date for the new job is March 3rd)....not so sure it is going to happen and I definitely do not want to shoot myself in the foot. How do I work this?

So yeah, needless to say, I did not give my two weeks notice. Instead, after the meeting the whole organization went home or for drinks. I went to eat with Ben, then Kevin and I went for drinks, then I went to my MBA happy hour, and finally to my broomball game.

I am not going to want to get out of bed, but...tomorrow it is "business as usual!" YAY!!! I am soooooo excited to go to work tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Troystopher said...

WOW!!!

We need to catch up ASAP!!!!